Let me start by saying that I love, no adore, Cuban food. I mean, they really know how to season their food. Last night I was really needing a change to our normal diner routine and I’ve made a beef roast that is very similar in the past and it’s delicious, but I think I like this dish even more.
It very closely resembles the authentic Cuban dish, Ropa Vieja. This dish is typically served with rice and usually some very delicious fried plantains. I was hesitant to serve it with anything else, but I’m really trying to eat less carbs and more nutrient dense food. Insert riced cauliflower…delicious! I bought pre-packaged riced cauliflower from Costco and simply sautéed it with a little salt and grass-fed butter and it only took about 5 minutes or so. My kids devoured it and my 2 year old ate a bowl of the cauliflower by itself. Winning!
One trick I have learned to making the best roasts, whether it’s beef or pork, is to cut the roast in to 3 inch cubes prior to slow cooking. It allows the meat to cook fast and more evenly. This recipe can be cooked in an instapot or crock-pot.
Paleo-Friendly Ropa Vieja
- 1 grass-fed beef chuck roast (2-4 lbs)
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp real sea salt (Redmond's is seriously the best)
- 4 Tbsp grass-fed butter
- ½ cup diced onion
- 3 stalks celery-diced
- 2 bell peppers-chopped -I used red and yellow
- chopped cilantro -for garnish
- 1 cup water or beef broth if using an instapot
- Cut the beef roast in cubes, about 3 inches in size, and place in the slow cooker.
- Sprinkle the salt and cumin over the meat.
- Add the minced garlic.
- Cut the butter into small slices and spread out over the top of the meat.
- Cook on low for about 4 hours. (The meat should easily fall apart when done.)
- Add the onion, celery, and bell peppers to the roast and cook for another 30-60 minutes.
- Once it's finished, I usually find that I need to add a bit more salt (about 1 tsp). Salt the roast to your taste.
- Serve with rice, or riced cauliflower for a low-carb option.
- Garnish with freshly chopped cilantro.