This is one of my easiest recipes and one of my favorite meals! I also happen to think that this is a meal that even tastes better the second day…and I love having good leftovers!
The hubby loves them, the kids love them, and that makes for one happy momma. I mean, who doesn’t love the combination of ground beef, rice, and tomatoes all stuffed in a fresh tasting veggie that I happened to pick from my garden?? They are also really good when topped with marinara sauce.
I’ve made these several different ways and now days I tend to make them without rice and I substitute riced broccoli or broccoli slaw. Sometimes I also toss in some fresh chopped spinach.
Hope you enjoy!
Stuffed Bell Peppers
- 4-6 bell peppers
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/3 cup diced onion
- 2 cloves minced garlic -or 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 tsp sea salt -or to taste
- 1 cup riced broccoli or broccoli slaw
- 2 cups tomato sauce (I highly recommend San Marzano canned tomatoes or sauce)
- fresh basil to garnish -optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cut off the tops of each bell pepper and remove the seeds/membranes from each pepper.
- Cook the peppers in a large pot of boiling water for about 5 minutes (to soften).
- Begin to saute the onion and olive oil in a large skillet on medium heat for about 3-5 minutes, then add the garlic.
- Add the ground beef and salt and cook until meat is browned.
- Once meat is cooked, add the riced broccoli or broccoli slaw and cook an additional 3-5 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix the meat/brocccoli mixture with the tomatoes/sauce until combined. (Crush any large tomatoes. Taste and add more salt/garlic if needed.)
- Stuff each pepper with the meat mixture and place in a deep baking dish.
- Cook for 30 minutes.
- Garnish with fresh basil or marinara sauce.