You guys! It’s November and I have not made my chili verde yet. It’s been chilly and we’ve totally been on a soup kick. My hubby has really been craving tortilla soup so that’s really what I’ve been making…a lot! All.different.versions.
So sorry, chili verde. You deserve the best! So, today I made some homemade tomatillo sauce, cooked a pork shoulder roast, and made a big ole pot of comforting Pork Chili Verde. Yum!
You can find my pork carnitas recipe here. You can cook the pork shoulder in a crock pot or follow my recipe for pork carnitas. When cooking the pork for this soup, be sure not to add too much salt while cooking the pork. It’s always easier to add some at the end, instead of the soup being way too salty!
Pork Chili Verde
- 3-4 cups cooked pulled pork
- 2-3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 onion – diced
- 1 1/2 cups salsa verde (tomatillo sauce)
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 can cannellini beans
- 1 Tbsp cumin
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 2 tsp salt -or to taste
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro – for garnish
- avocado – for garnish
- In a large dutch oven, saute the onions in the olive oil over medium heat for about 3-5 minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients and allow the soup to simmer for about 30 minutes.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro.
- Optional – can also garnish with sliced avocado and chopped onions.