Yes, you read that right! French toast in the form of a muffin…and can be made ahead of time. I mean, my mornings could not possibly get any better! Any type of bread can be used to make these, but today I wanted something on the healthier side…surprise, surprise…I know! I had just bought a loaf of Cinnamon Raisin Ezekiel bread and it worked perfectly with this recipe. The original recipe that I found on Half Baked Harvest called for challah bread and, oh, that would be SO good. Next time!
French toast can be a little boring sometimes, but not these little guys. The streusel has this sweet, brown sugar, cinnamon crunch to it and I topped them with some fresh banana slices and warm maple syrup. Yummm! The options are really endless with these…you could modify in so many different ways.
These muffins could be assembled and refrigerated in the muffin tin overnight, then the next morning just sprinkle the streusel and bake. Perfect hot breakfast for busy mornings!
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 4 large eggs
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 1 Tbsp vanilla
- 1 Tbsp ground cinnamon
- 2/3 loaf bread of choice (about 7-8 cups cubed)
- --Cinnamon Streusel--
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup cold butter - cut in small cubes
- 1/4 cup oat flour (or regular flour)
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- Grease a 12 cup muffin tin.
- In a large bowl, mix together the milk, eggs, honey, vanilla, and cinnamon.
- Add the cubed bread to the egg mixture and gently toss to coat all pieces. (Be careful not to over mix and break up all the bread.)
- Divide all the bread into the muffin tins and pour the remaining egg mixture over the muffins.
- Place muffins in refrigerator while preheating oven and preparing streusel. (If refrigerating overnight, make sure to cover the muffins with clear plastic wrap.)
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Mix all streusel ingredients in a small bowl with your hands until it resembles a crumbly mixture.
- Sprinkle over the muffins and then bake for 28-30 minutes.
- Allow to cool for at least 5 minutes before removing from muffin tin.
- Serve with butter, warm maple syrup, and fresh fruit (optional).